Wilderness Solo: Walking the Path of Transformation
A supported wilderness solo in nature
Northern New Mexico
May 9-15, 2020
$695 per person Register Now
“The clearest way into the Universe is through the wilderness.” John Muir, environmentalist
We warmly invite you to join us for a wilderness solo, a powerful initiation supported by nature. Our experienced wilderness guides, each also a student of shamanic and indigenous traditions and practices, will support your experience through ceremony, conversation and prayer. Such experiences, also known as vision quests, are a time-honored tradition of many indigenous cultures used to mark an important rite of passage. Whether you’re going through a transition in your life or are looking for a vision to guide your next phase, a solo can be incredibly helpful. We welcome students and graduates of of Patricia White Buffalo’s shamanic program along with others interested in experiencing profound transformation.
For our base camp, we’ll stay in the tall forested pine groves near the San Pedro Wilderness area about 2 hours from Santa Fe. The land is spectacularly beautiful — combining large granite boulders, grassy meadows, old growth Ponderosas and a stream with a waterfall that runs through it all. There are many solo sites with lots of privacy, without needing to be too far from base camp. We’ve been enjoying this camping area since 2014 and each time people camp with us here it helps deepen our connection to this place.
What you’ll gain:
- Clarity on your life’s purpose
- Experience of becoming one with nature, sharing in her gifts
- Confidence to do things you hadn’t imagined you could
- A stronger connection to nature and the four elements — water, air, fire and earth — as vital forces living within and worthy of nourishing relationships with
- Insight into the power of working with spirit animals as allies for your journey
- An ecological lens on the self, with a greater sense of how we are more like the forest or desert than not.
- New perspectives on key areas of focus in your life
- A deepening of your own mindfulness, meditation, or other supportive self-care practices
Our itinerary for the Wilderness Solo: We’re envisioning that most people will choose the four-day solo but as a way to make solos accessible to more people, we are also open to anyone who would like to do a 24- or 48-hour solo instead. We’ll adapt this itinerary for anyone opting for this approach. The more of us who spend time alone in nature regrounding and in self-care, the better the world will be.
- Day 1: arrive at campsite by noon to set up camp and explore the meadows and boulders; evening opening ceremony circle
- Day 2: find personal solo spot; ceremonies to prepare for the solo
- Day 3: depart in morning with drumming and smudging
- Day 4: solo
- Day 5: solo
- Day 6: return in the afternoon with drumming and smudging; sacred circle to share experiences; a celebratory meal
- Day 7: closing circle and remembrance ceremony; gratitude to the spirits of the land; return to Santa Fe or Albuquerque by mid-afternoon
If you don’t live locally, consider arriving in Santa Fe a day early to help adjust to the altitude. We will provide group meals on days 1 (dinner), 2 (3 meals), 6 (dinner) and 7 (breakfast). For the solo time, whether on solo or in base camp, please plan to bring whatever food you feel is appropriate to support your solo. We have supported people who fast for four days as well as people who opt to eat. We each know what we need for this type of experience and trust that you’ll take good care of yourself.
To register, please either contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to register online. You can also download our Journey Release Form and then you’ll be all set! Co-hosted by Lead Feather (a non-profit) and the Wild Resiliency Institute.
“If you want to awaken all of humanity, then awaken all of yourself. If you want to eliminate the suffering in the world, then eliminate all that is dark and negative in yourself. Truly, the greatest gift you have to give is that of your own self-transformation.” Lao Tzu
A portion of your fees go to support Lead Feather’s programs for Native American youth, helping them connect deeply to Mother Earth. Interested in helping more? Learn how.