Nature and the Good Life: Gathering Nature’s Medicine for Your Heart and Soul
Three days immersed in nature and self-exploration
Santa Fe and the surrounding National Forest
Northern New Mexico
2019 dates TBD
$695 per person Register Now
Co-hosted by Lead Feather and Wild Resiliency Awakening
“Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” Rumi
What is the good life you envision for yourself? How might nature further inform and enrich this life? And what if you could give yourself the gift of gathering the “living medicine” of nature as your own? This retreat is designed to help you claim the space and time for reflecting on what matters most to you.
We invite you to join us as we explore together what defines the good life, and how nature is the mirror and medicine inspiring and informing each of our journeys. Our intention is to support you in a personal gathering of strategies, skills, tools and practices of self-care for navigating the challenging times of today’s world. Join us for a few days of unplugging from technology in order to connect to something deeper.
What you’ll gain:
- New perspectives on key areas of focus in your life and skills for sharpening your attention on them — now and well into the future.
- A deeper connection to nature and the four elements — water, air, fire and earth — as vital forces living within and worthy of nourishing relationships with.
- Your own personalized Nature Medicine Wheel to help guide your decisions, created by the facilitators based on training with Ojibwe fire-keepers on how they use of the medicine wheel and the four directions to help in personal healings.
- Insight into the power of working with spirit animals as allies for your journey.
- Greater confidence in and commitment to putting yourself first more.
- An ecological lens on self-care, with a greater sense from science of how we are more like the forest than not.
- A deepening of your own mindfulness, meditation, or other supportive self-care practices.
- Hikes each day through the forest — sometimes by rivers, sometimes on mountain ridges with incredible vistas, always with joy and curiosity.
- Creating a personalized Nature’s Medicine Wheel
- Ojibwe talking circles
- Solo time in nature
- Exploring the night sky on a night hike (just using the moon and stars as our guides — this is often a highlight for participants!)
- Preparing and eating three hearty meals each day (we can accommodate most dietary preferences and provide all the food; we cook and clean up together)
- Gratitude and takeaway circles
Setting Our three days will be spent together on permitted lands in the Santa Fe National Forest in the midst of a spectacular pine and aspen forest. (It’s worth noting here that the aspen grove is claimed by some to be the world’s largest known individual life form.) Our forest program adventures will be based out of a private mountain cabin, where we will be hosted as invited guests, with limited indoor lodging available to those who sign up first. Tent camping is also available.
Three Bonuses! Once you sign up for this journey we’ll send you a pre-journey email with suggested readings and thought-provoking questions to get you ready for our time together. A month or two after the journey we’ll gather together in an online video call to remember our experiences in nature. You’ll also then be able to join our past-participant video calls to welcome in each season. These are beautiful opportunities to reconnect to the wellspring of aliveness that exists in each of us, but often gets covered up with our day-to-day activities.
As the poet Mark Nepo posits “The challenge of our age is to stay in relationship….to who we are, to our aliveness, to everything larger than us. This opens up a conversation with life.” Our goal for our time together is to deepen that aliveness — to bring a new sense of energy and passion to ourselves, our relationships and our life’s work.
Click on these links to register and download our waiver form. For more details about the journeys, check out our FAQs. We do have a handful of scholarships for every journey so if cost is an issue please don’t let it get in the way of joining us.
This program is hosted on forest service lands in partnership with Larry Glover (USFS permit holder) and Wild Resiliency Awakening. A portion of your fees go to support Lead Feather’s programs for Native American youth, helping them connect deeply to Mother Earth. Interested in helping more? Learn how.
“And then the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to bloom.” Anais Nin