The Medicines of Connection: Healing Grief through Art and Nature
A Day in the Woods
Santa Fe National Forest
Northern New Mexico
October 19, 2019
Sliding scale investment $40-$100 per person
This program is now full — please contact us if you’d like to be put on the waitlist.
In partnership with Mountain Jay Spirit Medicine
“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.” Rachel Carson, writer/environmentalist
Grief is a natural process of honoring and renewal that is a human birthright. We all experience losses of many kinds throughout our lives, yet our society tends to avoid grief, to great detriment. Those grieving the more unseen losses, such as divorce, abuse, neglect, rape, assault, secondary trauma of attending to those in crisis, a beloved pet dying, the loss of important dreams or identity, so often find themselves alone to cope with their losses when they inevitably knock on psyche’s door demanding their due attention. Those aware of the profound losses occurring in our ecosystem due to our collective neglect and abuses of our planet often find themselves unable to connect with an understanding community. This can leave us feeling stuck in difficult and dark grief spaces. And while each of us grieves in our own way, there are often commonalities and benefits to sharing with others.
This day-long grief retreat is designed to support you in navigating your experience of grief in the loving support and beauty of the Pecos Wilderness. Held in the safety of sacred space in nature, you will be guided to use a variety of tools to explore your grief process in a supportive community, to connect more deeply with what your loss means to you, at this time, at your own pace, and as your own process dictates.
- What: a retreat day with light hiking intermixed with structured exercises and personal solo time
- Where: in the Santa Fe National Forest, about 30 minutes north of the village of Pecos. We will be guests in a mountain cabin that we can use if the weather is inclement.
- Who: fellow nature lovers who want to experience the healing power of nature as they experience grief and loss
- When: 10am-5pm, Saturday October 19
- Logistics: Maps and additional information will be provided upon registration. Plan to bring layered clothing, food and water for a day in the mountains.
- Investment: A sliding scale of $40 – $100 per person. We are committed to making this retreat available to anyone interested; scholarships are available if the sliding scale presents a hardship.
Join us for a renewing day in the forest among the trees, wind, animals and sunshine. We’ll integrate ecology, forest art, psychology and mythology, with insights from neurobiology sprinkled throughout. Throw in ancient practices for wisdom gathering and we’ll share an inspiring and provocative day of re-wilding the self for greater healing.
This program is in partnership with M.J. Waldrip and Mountain Jay Spirit Medicine. Lead Feather is a USFS permit holder and a portion of your fees go to support efforts to protect New Mexico’s wild areas.